Kulturno društvo Mandala | Rijeka
Mandala Society of Croatia was established in 1999 to offer workshops, courses, and training, covering the broad range of Buddhist teachings and mystical practices for awakened living. Based in Rijeka, Croatia.
- monthly gatherings for established practitioners in 2016-2018
- introduction to Buddhist practice for prospective practitioners
- 3-day or longer retreats
- “Teaching for Adults” courses 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
- occasional workshops and demonstrations of traditional shodo and siddham calligraphy
- regular programs taught by Hokai Diego Sobol (website in English)
- Ajari Jomyo Tanaka, Shingon Buddhism 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2012
- performance of Japanese choir from Narita, with presence of Reverend Shojin Hashimoto, head of Narita-san Shinshoji 2007
Buddhadharma began in ancient India with the teachings of the Buddha. Siddhartha Gautama (563-483 BCE) is usually recognized as an innovative teacher and genuine philosopher, and from a modern perspective as pragmatic ethicist and perhaps the first psychologist. Just as important, he was an active cultural reformist and social entrepreneur.
Buddhism has developed many forms in encounter with various cultures during 2.500 years of history. The essence of Buddhist traditions is being renewed today through the encounter with the West, which often challenges established philosophical, cultural and institutional conventions on both sides.
Esoteric Shingon Buddhism was introduced to Japan by Kukai (774-835). Our principal teacher Jomyo Tanaka is a Shingon priest, master of calligraphy, author and world traveler (biography at Mandala Vermont).
More on Kukai and his thought: